Monday, January 9, 2012

Jan 1, 2012

Remember how Sister Itow, my wonderful trainer who recently retired, said that there is a reason people live close to the church? It's still true:). There is a neighborhood behind the church that is pretty out of view and not highly frequented. But a faithful member from the Roiet Branch who wants everyone in Roiet to know the happiness that comes from the gospel walked us back there a few months ago....and now we are privileged to teach one of the sweetest women I've ever met. She's old, and so so small, and her name is Bye, and she is deaf:). It's a pretty interesting experience because we don't really speak sign language, or Thai sign language, or her family's own dialect of sign language, but through the Spirit, we've found lots of ways to communicate with her and gauge her understanding. President Smith said that the "language of the Spirit is more powerful and pure than any other." And it's so true. Sometimes she will just be sooo excited after we explain something, or sometimes she'll make it clear to us that this is familiar, like she's dreamt about it previously or something like that. Like every time we show her a picture of Joseph Smith:) and Jesus Christ. She just seems to know some things, like they are familiar from before this life, when she could hear and talk and when she knew the pure truths of the gospel perfectly. And when we make those little connections and the Spirit is so strong and confirms to us that she is understanding, it's the best feeling ever! So so fun. It is the best example I can think of of how we all already know the Savior and Heavenly Father and the way to get back to Them, we just need some reminding. And as missionaries, we are full time servants and teachers and missionaries, but also full time "reminders." I love it:). Bye is sooo sweet and it's such a pleasure teaching someone so pure and close to the Spirit

Such a great week...a tricky one...but a great one. Gallevanting around Roiet with Sister Itow, I heard people say "farang!!! farang!!!" pretty often. But Sister Itow was pretty brown so she blended in and we weren't too much of an irregular sight with only one blonde. But with three blonde's together now, whooo, we're a sight. We stick out pretty good:). Hahaha I feel tall compared to Thais and so short compared to Sister King and Sister Maxwell, who are both close to 6 feet. I still love being in a threesome. This week more than ever I've tasted how rewarding it is to work with people who haven't been to church for a long time. I miss them even though I don't know them! Because I know how much Heavenly Father misses them. Please show love to all of the less active members in your wards. Please please please! Find them, visit them, befriend them, bear testimony to them, invite them. I can't wait to do this for the rest of my life! I hope the New Year celebration was safe and fun and bright and happy for all of you:). Happy New Year! Today I have a scripture that rooooocks to share that makes me feel sooo privileged to be able to access Heavenly Father through prayer: "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels (isn't that funny? earthen vessels? I told my comps I feel like an elf in Lord of the Rings or something when I refer to myself as an earthen vessel) that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7. And "Yea in the strength of the Lord did we go forth to battle against [whatever our human or personal or spiritual enemy may be]; for I and my people did cry mightily to the Lord that He would deliver us out of the hands of our enemies" (Mosiah 10:16). Man, if left on my own, I'd totally be conquered. I'm so grateful we have this treasure in earthen vessels to ask Heavenly Father for help in any and all things. We're so blessed:). I'm so blessed to be His full-time reminder. I love it!
And as you may have guessed but I will tell you anyway,
I love all of you:)
Happy 2012,
Sister Roper

No comments:

Post a Comment