Thursday, July 21, 2011

Immunizations are like the Gospel

Four shots in one day...in one minute!! But despite the stinging needles and sore arms the next day, it was okay for four reasons (thankfully):

1. Sweet Carolyn Cluff (a longtime family friend) held my hand and distracted me by asking me questions about Thai.

2. I had a peach sucker to suck on, which is my favorite flavor of Dum Dum, which is my favorite candy besides chocolate.

3. Now I know for sure that I will never contract Typhoid, Hepatitis, Polio, or Tetanus.

4. You can apply it to the gospel!! Yes! I'm figuring out that you can really apply anything to the gospel. Let me tell you how. Sometimes things happen that are kind of hard...harder than others....and while you're going through these things, eventually the thought hits you: 'Hmmm, maybe this is what they call a trial.' Like feelings of inadequacy, or wondering why you can't automatically be a fabulous teacher even though you've tried your whole life to really get to know the gospel, or wondering if your companion is totally annoyed with you speaking Thai in your sleep or being too enthusiastic in class. Or lots of other things. We're all human, so I hope you can relate to these 'harder-than-other-things-that-sometimes-decide-to-pop-into-your-life-when-you-don't-want-them-to-but-when-you-actually-really-need-them-to.'



But before I do....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your letters and love. I want to hear how all of you are doing and I love every little detail.



So let me explain why immunization are like trials. Trials are the best. they're so great that I don't even want to call them trials. They're like...hmmm....ookaads...opportunities. To improve! To get better! To be refined! To discover your weaknesses and learn how to melt them away. I memorized this scripture: "For our light affliction which is but for a moment worketh FOR us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:17).


I've learned so much more about the Atonement being an enabling power. Christ felt the guilt that I feel when I make mistakes, as well as sadness and inadequacies. So that means that I can turn to Him not just when I need to repent, but also when I need encouragement. By thinking of Him and seeking His love and His guidance and praying so hard for it and for His Spirit, He sees our desires and answers our prayers. He does. I know it. I know that He loves me and wants so much to help me become a better teacher and companion and Thai-speaker and missionary and person. We are all so unequal to the task before us: life. But we can do anything with His help. I love my Savior and I know He is my Savior.


The shots stung a little and like I said, my arm was sore the next day. But because I endured a little, I am safe from all sorts of sickness and pain and difficulties in the future. Trials (opportunities) are just like that.


I love you!


Love

Sister roper

No comments:

Post a Comment