Monday, July 18, 2011

Call the 'Topes"

*Topes is the Isotopes-the local baseball team in Albuquerque




Just don't mention that I had to ask the Elders to make sure that's what it was hahahaha. Bases loaded. I got up to bat (but it was kickball, so would you say "up to kick"?). The pitcher rolled the ball. I kicked. Shouts of excitement, and what seemed like an eternity later I was finally running through home panting, "My dad is gonna be so proud." Everyone laughed, mostly because I think they were just as surprised as I was hahaha:).



Well, first things first. Or is this second things second?? This week has been so fabulous, once again. For a few reasons as follows:



1. Oh my MERCY I have the best family and friends EVVVERRRR!! Thank you so much for all your letters and love and support! I love hearing from all of you (Friends, too! Thank you so much!!) and your support is so uplifting.



2. Another reason this week has been so fabulous. Sister Carper and I (my companion) are learning and growing so much together. Working with her has taught me so much about how much Heavenly Father loves me. And her. And you. For example, we are picking of the language at different paces. When we would study, I'd remember vocabulary words easier and she started to get discouraged because it was harder for her to remember. I didn't know what to do because I didn't want her to feel discouraged. So then a few days later, we started working on script, which is the Thai alphabet, the curly stuff. And she caught right on! And it totally boosted her confidence. Script is much harder for me than vocab is, so she has the opportunity to help me and quiz me on it. Wow, I have NEVER been so grateful for having a hard time at something haha. It was such a blessing. Another example: we are pretty different in personalities. I'm pretty red, and she's pretty yellow. I'm also more idealistic and she's more realistic. We decided that we both needed to work on looking for the positive. So we made a goal to look for "tender mercies" (1 Nephi 1) and oh my goodness how it has helped out relationship and attitudes. Some of them have been as simple as not getting locked out of the residence hall even though we forgot a key. Or being able to translate the title of Preach My Gospel from script into English. Simple little signs that Heavenly Father cares about us and is involved in our lives and want us to be happy. Sister Carper is kind of like a treasure box that is really hard to open. But whenever she lets a little bit out, I'm always so grateful. Like the other night while we were evaluating our companionship, she said she was grateful for me:). It made my world because she doesn't say stuff like that very often.



3. I'm learning more and more the importance of being obedient with exactness. There are lots of small rules that seem unimportant at times. But I'm realizing more and more every day that those little things are just more chances for us to show Heavenly Father how much we love Him. By easy little things like not chewing gum, or not calling each other by nicknames. That's been a challenge, a little haha. The other day when our branch president was telling us the importance of that rule, of referring to each other as Elder and Sister, Sister Carper said, "How 'bout ya'll?" Hahahaha she keeps me laughing.





I am learning so much every day. It's like Christmas. And my birthday. Times twenty five every day. I love repenting every day. It's such a joyful thing. I love learning how to better listen to the spirit. I love the chapter in 1 Kings that talks about the spirit being a still small voice. (Read it.) I love this gospel. And i love you all.



Love,

Sister Roper

No comments:

Post a Comment